Here is a sampling of ideas about the Word to share with children of various ages.
These concepts are accommodated to the age of the child and coordinated with the religion curriculum.
For preschool (ages 2-5)
- The Word is the Lord speaking to us.
- The Lord wants us to read the Word or be read to from the Word every day (Apocalypse Explained 803).
- The angels are happy when we read the Word.
- The Word teaches us how to follow the Lord so that we can go to heaven.
For primary level (ages 5-9)
- The Word is holy and true.
- The Word has three parts: Old Testament, New Testament, and the Writings (Heavenly Doctrines).
- The Word has power against evil spirits.
- It is important that we hear or read from the Word every day.
- The Word has an outer meaning for this world and an inner, heavenly meaning for the next world.
- Sometimes the heavenly meaning shines through.
For intermediate level (ages 9-12)
- The Word contains all of the Lord's wisdom. We can learn from It forever.
- The Lord's life reaches us most immediately through His Word.
- When we read the Word, the angels understand Its meaning even more than we do.
- The more we read the Word, the more the Lord will help us understand it.
- The Writings (Heavenly Doctrines) explain the meaning of the first two parts of the Word: the Old Testament and the New Testament.
For upper level (ages 12-14)
- The Lord talks to us in His Word in a language we can understand. Yet within, is His infinite wisdom.
- Reading and understanding the Word can shed true light on all natural knowledge.
- The heavenly meaning is what makes the Word holy. (g. the story of creation)
- The Word is alive with meaning for those who want to be good, and It gives them spiritual life.
- Because heaven rests upon our use of it, the Word should be treated as holy and used wisely.
For high school (ages 14-18)
- Living truth is from the Lord alone through His Word.
- Love gives life to the truths of the Word.
- True faith in the Word rests on the acknowledgement that it is the infinite God speaking to us.