Here is a sampling of ideas to share with children about the church.
These concepts are accommodated to the age of the child and coordinated with the religion curriculum.
For preschool (ages 2-5)
- We go to church to worship the Lord and to learn more about Him.
- Ministers help to teach people about the Lord and His Word.
- Angels are especially near to us when we have church.
For primary level (ages 5-9)
- The Church is the Lord's heaven on earth.
- The church conducts: baptism, Holy Supper, marriage, ordination, confirmation, and dedications.
- The Word brings the church and heaven together. The angels are near us when we read and hear the Word.
- People become part of the church when they obey and live what they have learned from the Word.
- The church needs ministers to help teach people the Word.
For intermediate level (ages 9-12)
- The whole purpose of the church is to teach people how to be good and loving so they can be useful.
- If we don't learn to be good we are not in the church, no matter how much we know.
- The role of the priesthood is teaching the truth and leading people by means of it to live a good life.
- The two uses of the church are worship and spreading the gospel (education and evangelization).
- All people are saved if they worship one God and lead a good life (whether they are in the church or not).
- The church is our spiritual mother that nurtures us.
- The New Church has the potential of bringing the highest truths and greatest happiness to people on earth.
For upper level (ages 12-14)
- The establishment of the church depends on true discipleship (link to Matthew, Mark, and Luke).
- The Church is the Lord's heaven on earth-the happiness and peace it can give you is a little like heaven.
- The three essentials of the church that should be known and acknowledged are: The Lord's Divinity; The holiness of the Word; The life of charity.
- The angels and the heavens rely on the church on earth just as a house needs to rest on a foundation.
- The special church (or church specific) is where the Word is, where the Lord in known and worshipped,and where people live in genuine charity. There has always been a special church on earth.
- The church universal includes all people who live a good life according to what they know to be good from their religion (see Heaven and Hell 328).
For high school (ages 14-18)
- Without charity in the church, people disagree over doctrine.
- The church community provides moral support for a life of charity.
- The church grows within us as we receive the Lord in our lives.